Sunday 17 June 2012

Little fighter x

Not much to report of last week as Con slept through the majority of it! The doctors started him on antibiotics and some other new meds as they suspected he had the beginnings of VOD, which is a condition a lot of the children going through High Dose chemo get, it causes the liver to distend and not function properly amongst other things, but they odviously caught it in time as we got the news today that they are expecting him to make a rapid recovery!!! He certainly hasn't breezed through this stage of treatment but I had built it up in to such a nightmare that it has definitely not been as horrific as I had imagined, my main worries were Connor ending up in Intensive Care an him being in agony with mouth legions, but he was so good at taking his meds and doing his mouthwashes 4 times a day that we managed to escape those particular horrors, and even his Mucusitus hasn't been too much for him to handle. Our son is such a little fighter, I don't know how he keeps battling through but I thank God( or whoever else is watching over him) for his strength, and we are so proud of him. Best news we have had in a while and a lovely present for Rik on fathers day! Means we will all be home together sooner than we thought however we will still be keeping our fingers and toes crossed as it won't be the first time we have gotten our hopes up. So it looks like the 4th weeks the charm. I even got to see my girls 3 times this week!!! Monday I took my daughter Ella to see Mamma Mia in London, we had a girls day with Riks sister Izzy, my cousin Alison and her daughter Lucy, they loved the show and we had great seats - only 4 rows from the front,they even got me to take photos of them with the cast after. It was lovely seeing ELla having fun, but it was hard saying goodbye at the hospital afterwards, i can't escape reality for too long. Wednesday I did the school run, made the girls dinner and gave them a bath, such normal things but it makes me so happy, sitting on the sofa watching cartoons cuddled up together gives me strength till the next time I see them, and the time went so fast, it wasn't long before i was back in the car and "swapping shifts" with Rik. Saturday I was home again and this time for the whole night, first time in weeks I had slept in my own bed and it was strange, my home is not my home, my home is Room 3, ELephant ward, Great Ormond Street Hospital, but I can't deny that a hot shower and waking up next to my girls has given me a much needed boost!! add that to the news that the worst is over with this round of treatment and my smile isn't forced today xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment