Monday 7 May 2012

Finally turning a corner:

Saturday day: I finally got to pop home and see my girls for a few hours, we watched some DVDs cuddled on the sofa, and made pizza's for lunch, Lola got tomato purée and cheese all over her and the kitchen but I didn't give a stuff, seeing them lifted my spirits so much!! We then all went back to see con but he was still uncomfortable so we were told he would most likely have his shunt done as soon as there was a time available. Saturday night: Don't think I will ever get used to Con being put under general anaestetic, holding him till he falls asleep, whispering sweet dreams and kissing him before I leave is the scariest and most heartbreaking thing I will ever do, lno matter how small the procedure is, leaving him in the hands of strangers, not being the first face he see's when he wakes never fails to turn me into a wreck. This time, because we had no set time for his op rik went home to put the girls to bed and missed him going down by 25 minutes, he was gutted. We only had to wait an hour and a half but it felt much longer, but thankfully everything went well, Con now has another tube on his right side of his chest-the shunt, which we will have to pump during the day to move the fluid gathered in his belly around, his left side has his Hickman line already, it's really hard to look at his tiny body sometimes, seeing the changes it's gone through these last 5 months. Immediately after the surgery his belly looked less swollen, the surgeon said a mass of fluid came out as soon as the incision was made, he seemed so much more comfortable. Me and rik settled in for a night top to tail again, an hour later Connor's monitors went off, his nurse came in and then called for a senior nurse who in turn called another colleague, Con had a temperature, high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, low oxygen level, our little man loves to worry us!!!! He was given IV antibiotics and paracetamol, after all he had been through they guessed he was brewing an infection, or that his body was just regulating itself after being under such pressure for so long. By 5am he was given the all clear and we were told to all get some sleep but we decided to take it in turns, I slept till 8, then rik till 11. Sunday: what a difference a few hours makes, Con was so much happier, he was still a bit distended but to a much smaller degree, he was asking for food and wanted to play the wii, he had finally turned a corner!! Today was another good day, still sore and a bit swollen but much happier, the shunt hasn't even been pumped yet as he is too tender so the plan is for it to be done tomorrow, and maybe get him out of bed. Can't tell you what a relief it is, I know we have such a long way to go but when Con is happy so are we And as days like that are few and far between lately, every day he smiles or gets cross with me for being crap at computer games ia a blessing. Sweet dreams my babies xxxxx

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea who you are writing this blog, but I am a friend of Kevin & Anna's and saw a link to this post from Kevins Facebook update this morning. I just wanted to say how much I hope that everything works out for all of you - I simply can't imagine what you are going through. Maybe the thought that one more family is wishing the best for Connor will help. In my mind you're all complete heroes. ML x

    ReplyDelete